We have this quaint little Mexican restaurant down the street that we often go to and I would always see many of the tables with a large glass of shrimp cocktail, finally I decided to order it and Oh My Goodness it was probably one of the best things I had ever had, yes it was that good! After ordering it a few more times over the next few months I decided at $12 + tax each that it was a little pricey and I should make it at home so that’s exactly what I did
I knew the basic ingredients so I looked online and found quite a few different ways to make authentic Mexican shrimp cocktail. I played around with different ingredients over the summer and now I think it’s pretty close to perfect! What’s even better is there’s no cooking. Now I love to cook but when it’s 118° outside, the last thing you want to do is cook and heat up the house. This is a perfect meal for those hot summer nights. And the kids love it!
- 1 lb small frozen cooked and cleaned shrimp, defrosted
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red onion, diced,
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced,
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 – 32oz bottle of clamato juice
- 1/3 c. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. worstershire
- 1-2 tbs tabasco sauce, depending on taste
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl and refrigerate for a half hour before serving.
- Serve in a bowl or large glass with fresh lemon or lime wedges and with either tortilla chips or soda crackers.
- This meal is very filling and completely fresh and very delicious.
- This can be served as a meal or an appetizer.