Sharing is caring!

So for the last few weeks I’ve been missing, we’ve had so much going on, family came to visit, soccer, work and I also got a surprise visit from a wisdom tooth.

(This is not the type of stuff I wanted to post on this blog, but I think it needs to be shared for the people who may be experiencing this)


This wisdom tooth actually started coming in last year and then stopped, there wasn’t any pain so I just left it alone, well a few weeks ago the tooth started coming in more and it was painful, my whole mouth hurt, my gums and other teeth were in pain. After a few days of pain I decided it was time to get it removed, I have had two other wisdom teeth removed and so I figured I knew what to expect. I called my mother-in-law and asked her to come out and help with the kids for a day or two, figuring I would not be sore for long, since the pain of having my other wisdom teeth removed was not bad at all, I just wanted her there in case, even though I figured I would be fine.

So on a Thursday morning I went to the oral surgeon, even though it felt like he was going to break my jaw, the procedure only took about 5-10 minutes. When I left the office he said my mouth would be numb for about 3-4 hours, I figured I had plenty of time to go pick up my prescription and the ibuprofen he said to take for the swelling, well only about 15 minutes later I was at the store and all of a sudden I was in horrible pain, I paid for the ibuprofen I had in my hand but didn’t have time to wait for the prescription, we rushed home.

As soon as I got home I took the ibuprofen as fast as I could and it was too late, it did nothing for me, all of a sudden I was in the worst pain of my life, so much pain that my body was shaking and I was crying. I had never been in that much pain, ever! I laid in bed and tried to fall asleep but the pain was too bad and finally a few hours later my husband came home with my prescription, I took it, it helped a little but not much. Over the next few days it was nothing but pain, naps, throwing up and a liquid diet. I told my husband “This isn’t right!” I shouldn’t be in this much pain, I called the oral surgeon and talked to the lady at the office and she said the same thing, then she said it sounds like I have a “Dry Socket”, really?

A dry socket – The socket is the hole in the bone where the tooth has been removed. After a tooth is pulled, a blood clot forms in the socket to protect the bone and nerves underneath. Sometimes that clot can become dislodged or dissolve a couple of days after the extraction. That leaves the bone and nerve exposed to air, food, fluid, and anything else that enters the mouth. This can lead to infection and severe pain that can last for five or six days, sometimes even weeks.

She said that there was pretty much nothing I could do for it besides come back to the office, well I couldn’t come back to the office that day. So I did the only thing I could think of, immediately went on google, I was on a mission to find some type of relief for the pain. I found a few different sites, swearing by clove oil…I didn’t have clove oil, I had to improvise. I put about a tablespoon of cloves into a coffee filter, tied it off and then let it steep in a cup of hot water for a few minutes, then I used a medicine dropper and kept applying this mixture in and around the hole of the extraction site, a few minutes later I had some relief from the pain, although the pain was still there it wasn’t as bad as it had been.

While doing my research online I also read that people were using this little kit bought at Walgreen called “Red Cross Toothache Medication” It’s a little kit that will cost between $5-$8, so I had my husband stop and get some and as soon as he got home I ran to the bathroom with the kit and used it immediately, it has a little bottle of pain relief medication, a little pair of tweezers and miniature cotton balls, I soaked the cotton ball in the medication and applied it to the area of the extraction site and held it there for a minute and then rubbed it around the rest of the gum and tooth near the extraction site and about two minutes later the pain was almost completely gone, the pain went from about 10+ down to maybe a 2 and it lasted for a few hours.

After about a week of using this red cross kit the pain was pretty much completely gone. Some of the people that left reviews of this kit said it actually worked better then the stuff the dentist did to help treat their dry socket. If you ever have a “Dry Socket” I would recommend that you use this product, having a dry socket is the worst pain you will ever have, it’s worse than being in labor, it feels like your head has been ran over by a truck, your whole head hurts, you get sharp pains in your ear, throbbing pain in your mouth. It’s HORRIBLE, beyond horrible! Luckily my last wisdom tooth is completely in and is fine, I will be leaving it in. There is no way I am going through any of that again!

Check Price On Amazon

Have you ever had a Dry Socket? If so what did you use to control the pain?

Sharing is caring!

About the author

Related Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *